2 H. 0 MIN.
- 900g melon rind
- 4 tbsp pickling salt
- 900ml water, divided, plus more for boiling
- 480ml granulated sugar
- 240ml white vinegar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon stick, broken up
- 1 ½ tsp whole cloves
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- 5 maraschino cherries, halved, optional
- Gather the ingredients.
- Trim the dark and pink parts from the melon rind.
- Cut rind into small cubes and measure out 1 ½ litres.
- Put the melon rind in a large container with the pickling salt and 700ml of water. Add more water to cover the rinds, if necessary. Soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the melon rind.
- Cover the rind with cold water in a large saucepan. Simmer just until tender—about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a non-reactive kettle or Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, whole cloves, and the remaining 240ml of water. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Add the drained melon rind, lemon slices, and maraschino cherries, if used to the spiced syrup. Simmer the mixture until the melon rind is translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Fill half-pint jars with the hot watermelon rind and syrup mixture, leaving 1cm of headspace. Add the lids.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes and remove jars.
- Let the jars cool on a rack.