6 H. 40 MIN.
- 400gr melon rind, white part only, cut into strips as for French fries
- 950ml water, plus
- 150ml water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar, plus more for coating
- ½ lemon, peeled
- Cover the rind with hot water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- When cool, cover with a brine of 950 ml of water and 1 tbsp of salt. Set aside for at least 6 hours.
- Drain and rinse several times, and then cover the rind with fresh water and simmer until the rind is tender. Drain.
- In a saucepan, place 1 tbsp sugar, the remaining 150 ml water, and the lemon peel. Cook until a drop forms a soft ball in cold water.
- Add the rind. Simmer, stirring and lifting the rind from the bottom of the pan to prevent it from scorching.
- Cook until the rind is clear and the syrup forms a long thread. remove the rind and drain. Discard the lemon peel if desired.
- Drop each piece of rind in sugar for coating, and shake off the excess. Lay the rinds separately on a rack to cool and dry.