- 250g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 200g crusty white bread , torn into chunks (all the better if it's a few days old)
- 2 leeks , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 100g cherry tomato , halved
- 4 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 100g strong cheddar , grated
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C. Grease a baking dish and fill it with cubed stale bread. Heat the butter in a large pan until it starts to foam. Add the leeks and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 5 mins, stirring as you go. Spoon softened leek mixture over the bread and top with cherry tomatoes.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and cheddar. Season, then pour over the bread and bake for 15-20 mins until golden and puffy.