- 1kg pumpkin or butternut squash, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 400g canned chickpea, drained, rinsed, and dried
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 slices white bread, whizzed to crumbs
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 wholemeal pitta bread to serve
- Put the pumpkin in a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with cling film. Cook on High for 10 mins or until soft. Tip the chickpeas, garlic, chili flakes, cumin, and half of the parsley into a food processor, then whizz until the chickpeas are finely chopped but not smooth.
- Allow the pumpkin to cool slightly, then scoop the flesh from the skin and add to the chickpea mix with some seasoning and the breadcrumbs. Give everything a good stir, then shape into 12 little patties. Place the falafels on a plate and chill for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining parsley with the grated carrot, onion, and feta cheese, then set aside. Put the grill on medium heat, then cook the falafels on a baking tray for 3-5 mins on each side until golden. Split open the pitta bread lengthways and fill with warm falafels and some feta salad.