1 H. 30 MIN.
- 6 baby red beets, trimmed, scrubbed
- 2 whole star anise pods
- 2 cups verjus
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- VINAIGRETTE AND ASSEMBLY
- 1 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring beets, star anise, verjus, salt, and 1 cup of water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook beets, adding water as needed to keep them covered, until tender, for 30−40 minutes. Let cool.
- Remove beets from brine with a slotted spoon and rub with paper towels to remove skins. Set beets aside. Reserve brine separately.
- Do Ahead: Beets can be pickled 3 days ahead. Return beets to brine, cover and chill.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry small skillet over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally until golden brown and puffed, for about 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Process anchovies, garlic, parmesan cheese, basil, oil, lemon juice and 2 pickled beets in a food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper. With the food processor running, thin the vinaigrette with the reserved brine to a pourable consistency. Add pumpkin seeds and pulse until coarsely ground.
- To serve, spoon some vinaigrette into a shallow bowl and arrange fruits and vegetables of choice on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: Vinaigrette can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.