1 H. 0 MIN.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 45g unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch process
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 45g semisweet chocolate, melted
- 175g unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Butter a baking pan with 1/2 teaspoon of the butter. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and the remaining butter. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, then the applesauce. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed until combined. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.